You either love it or you hate it!
Me personally? I am a HUGE lover of Cilantro!
Many studies have shown this could be because of genetics. It has been stated that the people who dislike it are lacking certain enzymes in their saliva, therefore making the taste of cilantro very unpleasant. It is described by most as tasting like dish soap. So if you are one of the lucky ones who isn’t affected by this strange aversion (NIKKI!), you should enjoy the taste! I know I am one of those people! I am a huge fan of fresh herbs and learning of their benefits. Besides making me want to eat 45 pounds of Mexican food, cilantro does have many healthy benefits!
- Used for heavy metal detoxification in the body.
- It has a far great concentration of antioxidants than any common fruit of vegetable,
- Great source of dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, and manganese.
- Demonstrates anti-fungal and antibacterial activity.
- Can be a safe way to help fight off Salmonella.
- Cilantro Oil has been shown to help with the production of digestive enzymes.
- Contains relatively large amounts of an alcohol known and borneol which helps to destroy viruses and cold causing germs.
- Natural anti-inflammatory.
- Helps to relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
- Regular consumption of cilantro has been show to lower the bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the good cholesterol (HDL).
- Can help reduce free radical damage from exposure to the sun.
- Has been shown to help control blood sugar.
So that being said, sounds like you need a good recipe for some fresh Pico De Gallo!
What you’ll need:
1 1/4 C. seeded, fresh tomatoes,diced (I prefer Roma)
1/4 C. red onion, diced
1 T. jalapeños, diced. (You can use more if you like it hot, like me!)
1 T. fresh garlic, minced
Fresh squeezed juice from two limes
2 T. fresh chopped cilantro, MORE or less to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Chop tomatoes, red onion, japaleno, garlic, and cilantro. I chop them all pretty small.
And then toss together with lime juice and salt/pepper.
Bring on the Tortilla Chips! Never hurts to have some tacos ready for this either!